Sunday, December 2, 2012

C4T Summary #4

This is a picture of Bill Ferriter, a 6th grade language arts and social studies teacher in a PLC near Raleigh, North Carolina.
For the last C4T of this class, I was assigned to Bill Ferriter, a 6th grade language arts and social studies teacher in a PLC near Raleigh, North Carolina. He was named a Regional Teacher of the Year for 2005-2006. He also created courses that teaches people or increased their proficiency in technology. He taught people how to use ad apply blogs, wikis, and podcasts in the classroom. He also taught the roles of iTunes in teaching and learning and digital moviemaking. His blog is called, "The Tempered Radical."

In one of his posts, "Answering Chris's Questions about Student Friendly Learning Goals", he writes about the importance of having student-friendly, clear and helpful learning objectives. He answers Chris's list of questions that was posted on another blog post by Mr. Ferriter on writing student friendly learning goals. He thinks that school should have one structure for student friendly learning goals that will be used across grade levels and content areas. He believes this because if every teacher uses a different structure and goal for the same task, the student will have to change their learning every time they enter another classroom. It's inconsistent, inefficient, and confusing to the student. He also says that he never posts the student learning goals word for word. Instead, he creates an "overview" sheet for the student. It has important questions for students , student-friendly learning goals, vocabulary for each unit, and etc. Creating student learning goals is essential for every teacher as it will help them with the structure of their lesson, future assessments, provides feedback, and can help the student keep track of their own progress. He says, "student friendly learning goals force teachers to clarify key outcomes together, make it easier to integrate student self-assessment into your lessons, and serve as the perfect tool for communicating essential standards to parents and practitioners beyond your classroom."

In my comment, I told him I agree with him about the importance of creating student-friendly learning goals. I also told him that I'm currently taking a course that teaches me how to create proper learning objectives that will help me in my future classroom. This is a post that I can relate my own experience and knowledge on. This is a matter that most teachers look over and do not put much time into. It is great that he thoroughly explained its importance and that it helped me in my understanding of the matter. This is a great post, along with the related post "Writing student friendly learning goals," as it will help any educator.

I also commented on a recent post, "Shameless Self-Promotion in Education's Social Media Spaces," where he writes about a blog post he came across written by Chris Wejr on social media in education. Mr. Ferrier says that, "while blogs and Twitter and Facebook are SUPPOSED to be "social spaces," there's definitely a TON of broadcasting -- pushing out ideas to nameless, faceless hordes -- going on. "Having followers" has become WAY more important than "finding co-learners" to FAR too many people." He also talks about how self-promotion is also a good thing for unrecognized, unnamed and faceless individuals around the world. Even though he is not for the popularity facade, piling up followers, he thinks it's not surprising when teachers/educators take pride in it and embrace the idea of self-promotion. He says this because teaching is usually known as the "nice second income" profession rather than the "profession for breadwinners." They are under-recognized by many.

I said I agree that social media these days are about self-promotion, popularity, and it's only normal for a person to embrace the spotlight that they earned. In my comment, I wrote:

I started using Twitter in order to expand my personal learning network and for other educational purposes. I get really excited when there are educators who decided to follow me, and I'm glad to follow them back. You see, for me it's not about popularity. I recognize the person's work and I learned a lot from them. I decide to follow them because of the information, resources and other useful tips and suggestions they provide that can help or assist me as a future educator. I can learn from them. I also follow them because they are educators. I respect educators a lot because they are not as recognized as they should be.

As for me, I take pride when educators follow me. I'm just a student, trying to become a future educator. I'm nameless and just another person on the planet. Why would they want to follow me? I think it's because I post useful & beneficial information and resources that can help them learn about a specific thing. I take pride, not because of popularity, but because I able to help someone out there in the world. Popularity contest or not, it helps bring out the educators who are looked over, unseen or unrecognized.

No comments:

Post a Comment